10:44 AM
0

It is oddly disturbing how much easier it is to just create characters based on people you've encountered rather than making one up on the spot.

I tend to avoid creating characters similar to people I know personally. In my opinion, it is not my right to share the stories of others without their permission as it intrudes upon their right of privacy. It is also dangerous as it not only compromises the safety of others but of mine as well. On top of all that, there is this whole theory of perception which I might address at a later post as it is one of the key elements addressed in the visual novel. (Yes, I'll be including a little bit of psychology on top of all the crazy things I want to put into the novel)

That isn't to say that these characters aren't influenced by my interactions with people. As long as you are creating something, you have to base it of something else unless you are God. (Gonna do another post about religion).

The key issue I struggle every time when creating a character is giving it a soul. A character that can think, change and adapt. A character that grows, not one that 'is' because it 'is'. A character that has stories which shape his/her thoughts. A character that can be unpredictable and sometimes burst your initial perception of them like the little quirks you find out about people. I want to create a character that is alive, that their stories don't end when the novel does. That is the one thing I hate about most of these fairytale endings. You don't really care what happens next.

So I'm just gonna spill the beans and let you guys know that this project is huge. Basically the novel is about paths. Each and every interaction you have with the characters around you have implications. Each character will develop differently depending on choices you've made. Sometimes, these implications could be big or small (depending on your perspective of what is important). However, there will always be constants and variables. Not everything you do may impact the story because sometimes they are just unavoidable. This isn't to say that the main character is 'all-powerful' but 'can' be influential. (Cue snowball effect)

This is not a story where the reader takes on the role as the main protagonist. Far from it, this is a story about a main protagonist whose character changes throughout the course of the novel. It is for the reader to decide which path he/she takes. (Aha, no spoilers)
It is to create the illusion where the reader perceives to be in control. In reality, the reader is taken through the journey of the main character, choosing the paths they think is better. The character will have his/her own thoughts but influenced by the decisions of the readers. Oh and to note, not all decisions are clear cut as thought out to be.

Working on this project is pure beauty. To embrace all the little wonders of the universe, and then create. To be able to guide a reader on a journey through the different senses and touch the minds is something I'd love to achieve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment